December 8, 2011

Chairs = Personality

For me, chairs are the personality of any space and can make or break a room.  Look at any living room and the chairs will tell you how that person lives.  A vintage chair could mean they treasure the past.  An overstuffed arm chair chair tells me they enjoy their leisure time, reading a book or lounging with their kids.  A pair of traditional wing backs could tell me they encourage thoughtful conversation.  A family heirloom shows their sentimental side.  A sleek contemporary portrays a stylish and modern couple.

My love of chairs began in college while browsing one of my favorite assigned classrooms books, 1000 Chairs.  One of the few college books that has still made it to my adult home.  I treasure that book and the stories behind every chair.  Class after class we would pour over the designs, memorizing the period, the designer, and the style.  I wish I could say I could recite every chair verbatim, but I took much more out of that class than I did many others.  While I can't say I fully appreciated the class at the time (memorization was not and still isn't my strong suit), it gave me an appreciation for the designers before me.  I smile at every sighting of their beautiful creations still being produced, replicated, or sold today.

Every day while browsing Pinterest I see hundreds of chairs in every room setting telling a story.  If you start to pay attention you will begin to see what I mean:




So there you have it, 9 photos all telling a different story.  If you take that second look, you'll begin to see that it's the chairs that are narrirating.  

All of these chairs and many more can be found on my Pinterest boards 
with links to their original locations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment